This is such a cheap and easy tray bake it hardly needs a recipe at all. I originally wanted to make something with fresh sardines but couldn’t find any in the supermarket so went with mackerel instead. Mackerel is incredibly cheap and sustainable and a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, I’m going to eat more of it.
I love tray bakes especially when I’m busy or just not in the mood for cooking as there is minimal preparation.
These quantities are for one person.
- 1 mackerel, filleted
- 1 bulb of fennel
- 3 small/salad potatoes
- 3 tomatoes
- Handful of pine nuts
- Half a lemon
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Wash the potatoes (no need to peel) and cut into wedges.
- Slice and wash the fennel, removing the fronds.
- Put the potatoes and fennel in an oven dish, drizzle with olive oil and toss. Season with salt and pepper and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Season the mackerel with salt and pepper. Grate the lemon zest of half a lemon over the fish and squeeze over the lemon juice. Place on the fennel and potatoes.
- Add the tomatoes and scatter over the pine nuts. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until the fish is cooked through.