You can whip up this paté in the time it takes to make the toast to go with it. It’s one of the quickest, easiest and tastiest recipes I know. I’ve calculated it costs about £2 per portion (and a generous portion at that) and is perfect for either a first course or as a sandwich filling. To pep it up add some grated horseradish, or a teaspoon of ready made horseradish (if you like a bit of heat).
I don’t like it too smooth so I blend two thirds of the mackerel and then flake in the rest of the fish.
Serves two. Great with toasted sourdough bread.
- Two smoked mackerel fillets, skinned
- 50g crème fraîche
- 50g cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Blend two thirds of the mackerel with the cheese, créme fraîche and lemon juice. If you don’t have a blender you can use a fork to mash the ingredients together.
- Season with pepper to taste.
- Flake in the rest of the mackerel and serve.