This is based on a Miguel Barclay recipe from his Vegan One Pound Meals book, except my version isn’t anywhere near as photogenic (and definitely not as yellow). Miguel Barclay keeps to a basic list of ingredients using aubergines and baby sweetcorn as the main vegetables but I’ve piled in some other veg which needed using up.
There’s no lemon grass here and Miguel doesn’t include any in his recipe but I would definitely add some if I had any in stock – Thai curries just don’t seem the same without lemon grass.
I love the way the aubergine is dry fried. You can often end up using massive amounts of oil when you cook aubergines as they are very sponge like.
There’s enough here for two hearty portions and because I included potatoes I didn’t need any rice.
- 1 aubergine, roughly chopped
- Other veg you have in stock – I used courgettes, green beans and a couple of small potatoes
- 1 red onion roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
- Stick of lemon grass, sliced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Half teaspoon turmeric
- Tin of coconut milk
- Sesame oil
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a frying pan and dry fry the aubergines for a few minutes. Add a splash of sesame oil and add the red onion and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the chilli flakes, garlic, lemon grass, curry powder, turmeric , salt and pepper. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the other vegetables stirring well and cook for about five minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk and cook for a few more minutes before serving. Garnish with coriander if you have any.
Do you have a cheap, fresh and easy recipe I can try? Let me know and I’ll feature it on the site and link back to you.
You can also follow on Twitter @CheapFreshandEasy and Instagram (@cheapfreshandeasy) and you can use the hashtag #cheapfreshandeasy in your own posts and I will leave a comment for you.