This is a recipe I made a couple of weeks ago when I fancied a roast which I had been craving all day, but I didn’t have any meat. I had a couple of cauliflowers in the fridge which needed using up so I made this recipe with one of them. I broke the other cauliflower up into florets, blanched it in boiling water (boiling for a minute or two), then plunged into iced water, drained and then frozen for another time.
I’ve made roasted cauliflower steaks before and know how filling and delicious they are. The anchovies are a great complement to the cauliflower but leave them out for a vegan alternative to a traditional meat roast.
Quantities are for one person.
- 2 thick slices of cauliflower
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- Tinned anchovies
- Olive oil for cooking
- Salt and pepper
- For the sauce: capers, chopped black olives, chopped shallots, parsley and olive oil for the sauce
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the cauliflower steaks and brown for about two minutes on each side, adding the chopped garlic towards the end.
- Place the cauliflower on greaseproof paper on an oven tray, top with anchovies and roast for about 20 minutes.
- Mix the sauce ingredients and use as a dressing for the cauliflower.
Do you have a cheap, fresh and easy recipe I can try? I’m particularly looking for vegan recipes – so please get in touch with your suggestions. Let me know your recipe and I’ll feature it on the site and link back to you.
You can also follow on Twitter @CheapFreshandEasy and Instagram (@cheapfreshandeasy) and you can use the hashtag #cheapfreshandeasy in your own posts and I will leave a comment for you.