This is a surprisingly substantial and filling dish and at about £1.50 a portion is incredible value. The cauliflower retains a firm texture and the vierge sauce is fresh, crunchy and colourful. Adding capers to the sauce gives the dish a sharp and piquant flavour. This is a very easy meal to make and only takes about 20 minutes. It’s a tasty and healthy vegetarian supper or lunch. Omit the butter from frying the cauliflower for a vegan version.
Use three cauliflower steaks per person.
- 3 x cauliflower steaks per person
- Knob of butter and teaspoon of olive oil for frying (or for a vegan option just use oil)
For the sauce –
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 x teaspoons capers
- Bunch of basil, chopped
- Bunch of parsley, chopped
- 16 baby plum tomatoes, chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Slice the steaks from the middle part of a cauliflower – three slices per person.
- Melt the butter and oil in a frying pan and fry the cauliflower steaks on both sides until brow. Place on a baking tray and roast in the oven (200 C) for 15 minutes.
- Make the sauce by combining all the ingredients together. Pour over the roasted cauliflower.
3 Comments Add yours