I had a brilliant day last Saturday. I met up with some of my best friends to watch the fireworks at the end of the Lord Mayor’s show from a boat on the Thames (followed by a little cruise up and down river). Before that I wandered around the food stalls on the South Bank where the atmosphere is always lively – lots of hungry and happy people enjoying great street food.
The fireworks were impressive. Later we went for dinner at The Wharf restaurant on the South Bank where I had a very delicious halloumi burger and a great time with my friends. The restaurant didn’t nag us to leave (some places drop hints about leaving so they can re-use the table) so we had a very pleasant, leisurely evening. I went home feeling very happy.
The burger was so tasty I’ve been thinking about it ever since – so I made my own version last night.
I bought a Heston Blumenthal brioche burger bun (yes that’s a real thing) from Waitrose but it can be made with any standard burger bun. The burger goes great with some home made chilli potato wedges.
I used a griddle pan to cook the courgettes and halloumi but an ordinary grill would do.
- 3 x slices halloumi cheese
- 1 burger bun
- 1 red pepper
- 1 large potato
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon red pepper Houma’s
- 4 x slices courgette
- 2 x large pickles
- 2 x teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- Rocket leaves and sliced tomato for garnish
- Heat the oven to 180 C.
- Scrub the potato, cut it into wedges and spread on a baking tray. Drizzle over some olive oil and coat the potatoes well then sprinkle the chilli powder over the oiled potatoes.
- Cut the red pepper into quarters lengthways and de-seed. Lay on the baking tray and drizzle with oil. Bake the potatoes and peppers for 30 minutes.
- Once the potatoes and red peppers are cooked, turn off the oven. Put the red peppers in a ziplock food bag. When they have cooled a bit, peel off the skin.
- Heat the griddle pan and brush seasoned olive oil on the courgette and halloumi slices. Cook the courgettes and halloumi on the griddle for about five or six minutes, turning halfway through.
- Lightly toast the sliced brioche bun on the griddle and then build the burger stack (this is the fun bit). Spread the the bottom bun with the humous and then layer with halloumi, courgettes, red peppers, pickles – and start again. Secure with a cocktail stick (or I used a kebab stick).
- Service with the potato wedges, salad and mayonnaise.