I’ve recently signed up to Oddbox, a brilliant way to reduce food waste. Basically it’s a solution to the 40% or so of all produce in the UK which would otherwise be thrown out even before it leaves the farm just because it doesn’t look right (eg mis-shapen looking fruit or veg).
Oddbox also coordinates waste due to weather issues or gluts – and the service provides so much more such as recipe ideas and a sense of being part of a community trying to be more sustainable.
I love the way Oddbox includes information on the produce and the reasons for inclusion that week. I also just love finding my box on my doorstep on Saturday mornings – it feels like a nice surprise. I’ve just reduced my order to once a fortnight and you can skip orders at any time (no point in ending up with more food than you can use).
This recipe is inspired from my first Oddbox containing a pointy cabbage (called a hispi cabbage).Stuffed cabbage is a great way to use up ingredients and you can substitute just about anything here. I used Quorn mince because I wanted to do a vegetarian recipe (substitute beef mince if you are a die hard carnivore).
- 4 cabbage leaves (2 leaves per person)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Handful of mushrooms, chopped
- 4 tablespoons frozen Quorn mince
- Half tin of butter beans
- Half tin of tomatoes
- Carton of passata
- Handful of grated cheese
- Splash of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Blanch the cabbage leaves in boiling water for one minute, drain and set aside.
- Pre heat the oven to 180C.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently cook half the onion and one clove of garlic. Add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes before adding the Quorn mince, butter beans, tinned tomatoes and herbs. Season and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Fill the cabbage leaves with the cooked mixture, folding the leaves into parcels and place in an oven proof dish.
- Make the tomato sauce by cooking the remaining onion and garlic. Add the passata, seasoning and cook until slightly reduced. Pour over the cabbage parcels and sprinkle over the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling.