This is the last recipe I made before my kitchen was renovated. The new kitchen is now ready and I am gradually getting back into the habit of home cooking after coping with microwaved ready meals and takeaways. I also ate out quite lot, including going to the gym to eat in the cafe there (but not actually doing any exercise – just eating – is that a new low?). I also enjoyed lots of meals out and a bit of home cooking on a fantastic holiday to Vancouver Island, Canada, this summer.
I’m so pleased with the kitchen. It has almost trebled my work surfaces and storage space. Check out the before and after pictures.
This is a vegan recipe and makes about four portions. It’s ideal to make in bulk and freeze.
- 2 aubergines, cubed
- 500g tomatoes chopped
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of tomato paste
- 1 large onion, chopped
- About 500ml of boiled water
- Fresh coriander for garnish
- Oil for cooking
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch of fresh ginger
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chilli
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Small bunch of fresh coriander
- Heat the oil and cook the onion in a saucepan on a gentle heat until soft.
- Meanwhile blitz the spice ingredients in a blender. Add to the onions and cook gently for about 5 minutes.
- Add the aubergines and tomato paste and stir well into the mixture. Add the fresh and tinned tomatoes and boiled water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Garnish with coriander and serve.
Do you have a cheap, fresh and easy recipe I can try? Let me know and I’ll feature it on the site and link back to you.
You can also follow on Twitter @CheapFreshandEasy and Instagram (cheapfreshandeasy) and you can use the hashtag #cheapfreshandeasy in your own posts and I will leave a comment for you.